Einkorn Pilaf with Lemon
This delightful einkorn berry dish will make your mouth water! Thank you to Dishes and Dishes for sharing!
- 2 cups Einkorn Berries soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 medium Carrot quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper chopped into small cubes
- 3 Scallions thinly sliced then roughly chopped, white and light green parts only
- 1 small Lemon Zest
This recipe assumes that einkorn berries are soaked overnight. Soaking einkorn overnight decreases cook time and improves digestibility.
- Under medium heat and in a large pot, melt the butter. Once butter is melted, stir in the onions, covering them with butter. Add a little salt and cook for about seven minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add whole soaked einkorn berries, a bay leaf, and vegetable or chicken broth. Raise heat to medium-high and place a tight lid on the pot, allowing it to cook for about fifteen more minutes, or until einkorn is tender but still chewy. Remember to stir!
- Stir in the carrot and reduce heat down to medium, then place the lid on the pot for another 5 minutes. Next, add the bell pepper, place the lid on again, and remove from heat.
- Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes, then prior to serving, add scallions, lemon and more salt, as desired.
- Serve warm.