Healthy, fresh and very delicious, these gourmet einkorn tortillas are very simple to make and go well with everything.
- 6-8 cups Freshly Milled Einkorn Flour Approximate
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Hot Tap Water As hot as tap water will get
- 1 cup Melted coconut oil
1. In a mixer, combine water, coconut oil, salt, and 3 cups of einkorn flour. Mix thoroughly. While mixing, gradually add more flour (3-5 cups) until dough sticks to itself and is soft but not sticky. The amount of flour depends on how settled your flour is, so just pay attention to consistency. Err on the side of a little wet. Being a little wet is preferable to too dry
2. Divide the dough in however many tortillas you want. This batch will make sixteen tortillas the size for wraps and more for smaller things like tacos.
3. Roll out on floured surface with rolling pin until very thin. See pictures below for example. (If you have a tortilla press, you may use that. We don’t use one anymore, but you may look at our previous tortilla article to see what we did in the past.)
4. Cook on hot skillet.
5. Enjoy with all your favorite wrap, taco, and burrito recipes!
A word of caution: Einkorn tortillas tend to dry out. They’re best fresh. However, if you do wish to store them in the refrigerator, make sure to cover them well.