- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Instant Yeast
- 4 2/3 cups Freshly Ground Whole Grain Einkorn Flour 2 1/2 cups of berries if grinding yourself
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- Mix water, yeast, and honey into a stand mixer and let stand.
- Add flour and salt and mix until just combined.
- Let rise in mixing bowl for 25-35 minutes.
- Knead to punch down.
- Place in buttered loaf pan (You can use oil, but we’ve found that butter works SO much better for this particular recipe. It prevents sticking much better than oil). It may be too wet to shape. Don’t add more flour. Just water your fingers and smooth it out in pan. You don’t have to shape it into a loaf. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and let rise in the pan for another 25-30 minutes. Watch it. Depending on the temperature in your house, it may go faster or slower. It should have crested the top of the pan when you put it in the oven.
- Bake for about 33-38 minutes until golden brown. This largely depends on your oven. Start with 33 and check it.
- Remove from oven and butter the top. Let cool 20 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and let cool for an hour or so (We’ve also sliced it right then if you can’t wait, but if you’re going to do that, we recommend an electric knife to avoid squishing it).
- Stores well in a bread bag if you’ll use it quickly. We sometimes store it in the refrigerator, but it can dry it out. It still works great for toast!